The original station serving the town of Salem was included in part of a nearby home near on Broadway near the Main Street crossing. A few years later, the Manchester & Lawrence Railroad constructed a stand-alone station building at the Main Street crossing. When a larger railroad station for Salem was built in 1876, the old station was moved to Windham, where it was incorporated into the grain store building on Frost Road near Windham Junction.
The station built in 1876 remains at its original site. After the Boston & Maine Railroad closed the station, local businesses made use of the station building. From 2007 to 2010, the Town of Salem undertook restoration of the railroad station. Today it is home to the Salem Chamber of Commerce.