Franklin Hall was built in 1848 on the corner of Main and Canal Streets at Railroad Square. Utilized by the Nashua & Lowell Railroad as its "Nashua" station, it was the terminal for the railroad until it was extended to Wilton ten years later. The first floor of the building contained the railroad station and also some small businesses. One notable business was the N.H. Banking Co. (later the Indian Head Bank). Uptairs was a large auditorium, which was used as Nashville's town hall during the time Nashua was divided and later was home to the Franklin Opera House, which opened in 1890. Tragedy struck on April 19, 1931 when City Station was gutted by fire. Trains continued to stop at City Station, as a small passenger shelter on the south side of the tracks served passengers for a few more years until passenger service ceased on the line in 1949. With the station gone, the Boston & Maine Transportation Co. used the site for its bus depot. Today the location is occupied by Dunkin' Donuts.