Originally only a small station was built here, named Policy Pond. At the request of local businesses and residents in Salem and Windham wanting a better station, passenger and freight agents, the railroad constructed Canobie Lake station in 1885, opening on November 9th. The name Canobie was new at the time the station was constructed, as the New Hampshire Railroad Commissioners wanted a dignified name for the area. In honor of the residents' Scottish heritage, the Railroad Commissioners named the station after Cannonbie, Scotland. Reflecting the power and influence the railroads had on society at the time, Policy Pond was renamed Canobie Lake.
Dinsmore, Bradford R. "The Canobie Lake District." In Windham. Charleston, SC. Arcadia Publishing, 2003. 81-106.
Hoisington, Richard A. "This Train Does Not Stop at Nutt's Pond." The New England States Limited, Spring 1978.