After the closure of the terminal station at Canal and Amesbury Streets, North Lawrence station on Essex Street was the city's downtown connection to train service. The only problem with the North Lawrence station was located on the Manchester & Lawrence Branch - South Lawrence station was the city's main line connection. For many years, the Boston & Maine Railroad operated a shuttle train between the north and south stations. This back-and-forth between the two stations ended in April 1931 when the Boston & Maine Railroad opened a new central station at Merrimack and Parker Streets.
Hoisington, Richard A. "This Train Does Not Stop at Nutt's Pond." The New England States Limited, Spring 1978.